From the refining forge to the high-tech ring-rolling plant
The history of Schmiedewerke Gröditz GmbH
In 1779, a refining forge, a steel bar mill, a canal and a stamp mill are founded in Gröditz as a branch of the Lauchhammer company. This was the birth of what would become one of Europe’s most cutting-edge steel plants:
1779 - Duke Detlev Carl von Einsiedel buys the Gröditz mill. Foundation of the Schmiedwerke Gröditz forging plant.
1819 - The first-ever cast is smelted using a cupola furnace.
1825 - The foundations are laid for a blast furnace.
1883 - A malleable foundry is built.
1901 - A steel foundry is built.
1915 - A Siemens-Martin plant is built.
1945 - The plant is decommissioned.
1947 - Rebuilding begins.
1952 - The first electric arc furnace begins operation.
1954 - The 60 MN forging press is used for the first time.
1974 - The tyre-rolling plant is replaced by a modern ring-rolling plant.
1995 - Commissioning of the VD/VOD plant, the 27 MN press, the upgraded 60 MN press and the sawing plant in the ring-rolling plant.
1996 - Commissioning of the ESR (electroslag remelting) plant.
1997 - Company taken over by Georgsmarienhütte Holding GmbH.
2006 - Acquisition of Edelstahl GmbH J.P. Schumacher.